Monday, August 6, 2012

I'm FINE thanks :)

On this occasion when I straightened my hair, in as much as I was excited that I had retained length, I couldn't help but notice how stringy or should I say fine it was. I immediately started thinking of what I could do to make it thick. If you read my old post here, you would see that one of the main problems I had with my relaxed hair was how thin it was when straightened. What's even more surprising is that the diameter when I put it into a ponytail is pretty much the same if not only slightly thicker than what it was when I was relaxed and so I'm left thinking...what's the point?

It wasn't until I read through a couple blogs that I realized that this wasn't a peculiar problem. A few naturals experience having an almost feathery texture to their hair when straightened and it really feels weird, as though my hair isn't meant to be straightened. On the plus side, I find my hair is easy enough to comb and style especially when wet, and doubt I'd have the same ease if the strands were thicker. The thing I learnt was that if you have genetically fine hair, it doesn't matter if you're natural or relaxed, it would always be fine.

So even though this may be a normal variant,  I thought I'd do a little experiment :D
From now till when next I get my hair straightened, and that's probably going to be next year (yikes!!!), I'm gonna try a few things.

ESSENTIALS: I am going to start taking my hair vitamins daily and drinking at least 2 litres of water a day. At the moment, I probably drink between 500mls - 1 litre daily, which is really bad..... At work, I'm always on my feet and often  forget to rehydrate.

Holland & Barrett


2 Litres

According to the Mayo Clinic,  The Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate intake (AI) for women is 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day. So let's just say I have a long way to go, but with determination and perseverance I'll get there.

ELECTIVES: I'm also going to try and keep up with eating at least 3 portions of fruits OR vegetables a day and exercise at least 3 times a week (p.s. my exercising will include salsa/zumba sha...lol). 

To be real honest I'm probably lazier when it comes to these 'elective' tasks cos I'd rather sit down and read blogs whilst munching on something savory (and FILLING) than snacking on some apples. I'm fortunate about my weight but for the sake of my hair (and health) I will try.




I find that by breaking one's goals into what HAS to be done and what MAY be done, you end up feeling less pressured, hence my dividing into the ESSENTIALS and ELECTIVES.
I know common sense would probably say that the electives are more important but I'ma go by what's more realistic for me.

coming up next.... 'Olympic Fever!!!!!!'
See you on the other side.

xoxo
Miss Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment