Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Olympic Fever!!!



Ah yes, the Olympics have come and gone and boy, I must say I miss it already. What am I going to watch on T.V now? I guess I'll be putting away the box till 2016 (or who knows, maybe I'll be in the box...lol). It was such a thrilling moment and I enjoyed every second of it. The atmosphere in London was electric. I've never seen London so jam-packed but even better was the cheerful demeanor of the volunteers. I really hope that the olympic fever will relinquish the 'stiff upper lip' behavior for good (I know, a little ambitious, innit).

This was actually the first Olympics that I followed. The opening ceremony was real nice but I thought the closing was wayyy better. Kept oohing and aahhhing and dancing like a crazy person. The Spice girls moment took me back many years and at the end of it all, I can't explain it but I felt proud to be 'british' or to have some links to Great Britain to be more precise.

I followed the track events very closely and for those on my bbm, I'm sure y'all got tired of seeing my updates...yes I became the unpaid commentator. 
I haven't been this pumped in a while about something and I think it's because athletics was one of my first loves..and watching this was in some way living out a dream (although indirectly). 
You see, growing up I wanted to be a professional sprinter and Marion Jones was someone I looked up to a lot back then. However, life happened and I'm in a totally different field today. I gave up that dream for reasons I cannot justify and kept thinking to myself 'if only'. 

Why didn't anybody teach us about sprinting, the stages involved- the drive phase, stride phase, lift phase etc? 
We didn't even get to see a gym. Fair enough pylometrics probably wasn't big at that time, but at least they could have taught us strength training and how to exercise the core/different muscle groups needed for sprinting.
We were never timed individually (only collectively) or encouraged to have 'time' goals.
As for diet, we literally ate any and everything we wanted; no advice was ever given in any shape or form. The closest we came to nutrition was taking 'glucose-d' powder before and after each race 'shikena''
If you were a top sprinter and started slowing down in your races, all the attention shifted to the new top athlete and you were forgotten, left in the dust. Nobody ever sat with you to revise your technique or see if you had any 'medical or mechanical problems that was hindering your progress.

But it's not all gloom.....Thanks to Bolt, that thought has changed to 'why not' ..after all I'm young and I still have a functional engine. Infact, if not for my mini obsession with him, I wouldn't have known of any of the things I lamented about above. I've been eating, breathing and sleeping 'sprinting et al' in the past couple days...you know like how it is when you first go natural and you're gorging in all of the information thats out there. Things have gotten to the point where i've thought of molding my career to fit/incorporate the world of track...maybe this is just a phase..who knows? All i know is that i'm pretty excited about this.


It funny how I feel so connected to so many things all at once. After Bolt won the 100m final, I felt compelled to get a jamaican t-shirt, bracelet, just something to express my pride, love, happiness...whatever the emotion was. 
In true OCD fashion, I've probably watched all his interviews and races that I can find on youtube. I really admire his talent and love his laid back attitude even though he can come across as arrogant. He's got so much charisma and personality that you (or she I say I) just gotta love him nonetheless. 

Blake on the other hand is also super talented and together, they motivate me. His (Blake's) accent is real thick and being someone who is somewhat fascinated by accents I'm really loving on the Jamaican accent right now.

Ok can we go back to hair now? Enough of this teeny bopper 'celebrity crush-ing'.
Well on that front let me just say that my 'essential' aspect of my goals a la my last post seems to be way ON track.
May be getting my hair in 'Solange' braids this weekend. Think I need a bit of a break from the styling.
Ok, enough of all the ranting. Gotta go.

xoxo
Miss Jay




No comments:

Post a Comment