Saturday, January 28, 2012

Diary of a Long Term Transitioner

Whoaaa...so my last post was very long..so long I didn't have space to put in more pictures (yikes!!!). Kudos if you read it to the end. I know most people like to look at pictures rather than read when it comes to blogs and I do too; it's just that sometimes I get into that writing mode and can't stop myself. In that case, this blog will cater for both groups of ppl ;)
Anyways this is the much promised post to document my natural 'transitioning' hair journey.....Enjoy!!!!



My last relaxer 23/4/2010..(I took this picture on my phone hence knowing the exact date... (it's really not that serious..lol). At this point, I hadn't even thought of going natural.





13/6/2010- so what does this henna tatoo have to do with my hair right? Well on this day I went to an Asian festival in Bradford with my friend, a natural from Botswana. I sympathized with her as she expressed the ignorance the Nigerian boys on her campus displayed regarding her natural hair. They'd often ask her if she was broke and to 'fix' her hair. What's interesting was that at this point, I still hadn't decided to go natural yet. In retrospect I think this could have been a subconscious build up to my later decision.





17/7/2010-My first mini-chop. A few days earlier was when I had made the decision to go natural. I was 3 months-post relaxer at this point. I had my hair blowdried and straightened for a cut/ trim.





14/8/2010- 4 months post. We were going for a bbq that day, and didn't know any other way to style than straighten. My girl I.J flat ironed my hair; she did it in such tiny sections, that it came out looking almost relaxed.





16/11/2010- 7 months post- my roots were starting to show...yayyyyy!!!... and I started developing 'hand-in-hair' syndrome :)






I know it looks crazy, but this was the only way I knew how to manage my hair-by dividing it into sections. I never went out like this though...lol.






I always tucked it in and accessorized with a headband or hair brooch.






18/12/2010- 8 months post; my happy nappy roots :)






12/3/2011-11 months post- getting ready for mini-chop no-2





before the chop- armpit length






after the chop- back to shoulder length. I remember being sooo excited this day, as my hair had NEVER been this full following a flat iron.






3/6/2011- 14 months post- decided to do a high bun for my grad ball. Had my hair straightened again for that occassion...I don't remember if I did a 3rd mini-chop. Anyway that was the last time I got my hair professionally straightened.





15/8/2011- 16 months post- length check; 50:50 in front....yayyy....getting there :)



13/12/2011- 20 months post- looks almost fully natural when packed. I still need more growth before making the cut :D


That's all for now....Hope y'all enjoyed my journey so far. I'll be posting pics of diff hairstyles I wear as well as hair products I used, so stay tuned and stay blessed. :)

xoxo
Miss J


No comments:

Post a Comment