Sunday, April 22, 2012

My hair straightening experience

As some of y'all may know I set out to get my hair straightened yesterday for two reasons:
1. My two year transiversary was coming up and so I wanted to see how much length I had retained
2. Also, I just wanted to give me a break from the daily styling.

Now I always get my hair straightened at a brazilian salon, but this time around I decided to try out a Nigerian salon after getting a great review from a friend. I was also a bit cost conscious and decided to go with the later cos it was cheaper.

Now the salon was very neat and the stylist was lovely. We had a good chat about hair, Nigeria and other issues. However, when it came to the styling process, a few sins were committed, e.g. combing natural hair when dry, of which I had to advice kindly against and secondly, combing wet/damp hair without the tension method. Now I really can't blame the stylist cos she doesn't deal with natural hair much but neither do the brazilians.

When it came to the blowdrying, she parted the hair into huge sections such that even though the ends were straight, the roots were exactly as before.
Now what's funny is that I told her that blowdrying and straightening my hair usually takes about 2 hours, but it took her about 30 mins if not less as she didn't do it the proper way- using tiny-small sections aka a brazilian/dominican blow-out; and I don't think she realized.
As she was the only stylist and had a few people waiting on her, I didn't try to teach her. I quietly got up, paid my money and called up the brazilian salon to get it re-done. Unfortunately they didn't have any more appointment places for the rest of the day and so I went home and re-did it myself wasting precious time that I could have spent on other things.

I realized that just because you use a round brush and a hand dryer doesn't mean you know how to do a proper blow-out. Needless to say, I wouldn't be returning there again, at least not to get my hair done.

Below are a few pictures to chronicle the experience. (used my phone camera for all but the last pic so sorry for the not so brilliant quality).


I immediately braided my hair to hide the mess




looking stringy and dull as hell


a brazilian blowout March 2011 to compare






To get it professionally re-done or not; that's the question.



That's all for now folks.

xoxo,
Miss Jay






No comments:

Post a Comment