Saturday, February 18, 2012

Mane Man interview #1

So I decided to interview a couple of my guy friends on their thoughts regarding natural hair. Now some of you may be thinking, does it really matter what people think? Well, no, not really, but I think its interesting to have these conversations. Also for those who may be wondering but are unable to ask for whatever reason, I hope such interviews provide some insight.
I think its pretty obvious that one persons opinion is theirs and not collective of a whole nation, so please lets respect them, whether we agree or disagree.

So the first person I interviewed was my good friend, Kofi.... Now what's funny was that I had to do this interview twice because we had two different definitions in mind...lol..He was really sweet and tried to be politically correct but I told him to be honest and speak his mind...so pls don't crucify him...lol.
It was a bit long but some good conversations came out of it in the end. I included both the 'before and after' conversations to make for a more rounded interview. Enjoy!!!




Question 1: What is your hair preference and why?
To be honest, I do not have a preference on how women decide to keep their hair. As long as its attractive and neat. But I wouldn't date a woman with locs tho.. Lol


Question 2: What things come to mind when you see a lady with natural hair? 
Initial answer: Natural beauty. See most women,  especially those of color always tend to hide the real beauty of their hair, and try to copy/immitate their western/Asian counterparts by having them long.. But they fail to understand that beauty is beauty, whether short or long, black or blonde.. A womans real beauty comes out when she goes natural.

After clarification that natural meant without a relaxer: As long as they pull the hair back and make it neat, then its fine.. Or if they put it in braids..


Question 3: Why do you think most nigerian women don't wear their hair natural?
Initial answer: Because they watch a lot of Hollywood movies, glued to E network televison, and think the"norm" for beautiful hair is long Brunette or Blonde. Thus they copy it..

After clarification:  Black hair ist naturally straight or curly.. The term used mostly is nappy and unkept.. Thus one has to look neat, therefore that's why African women go for relaxers. (Ok, I want to be anonymous..lol)


Question 4: What are the stereotypes (good and bad ) with wearing one's hair in its natural state?
Initial answer: Well, the stereotype for women of color (African origin) is that their hair is naturally short.. I think its the media that has brainwashed them into thinking its bad to have short hair. I say, confidence is key, and as long as you feel good no matter if your hair is short or supershort, then you have beaten this negative stereotype.
Any positive stereotypes?
Not that I know of....There are women who naturally have short hair, and keep it short while looking stunning.. Few that come to mind are Hally Berry, Jada (Gbagaun!!!!...this was when I realised we were on two different planes..I then went on to describe what I meant by natural)

After clarification: Bad stereotypes: are Nappy, Rugged, unattractive, unkept.. Basically Not SEXY
There isn't a positive stereotype.


Question 5......involves a bit of background information.
I don't know if you are aware but there is a natural hair movement in the states in which more and more black women are chosing to wear their hair in its natural state. The movement is slowly speading to Europe and less so to Africa. Are you aware at all of this?
Nope.. Maybe because their movement isn't succeeding as they anticipated..(Lol.. Oh boy, women are gonna HATE me..lol)


Nah it is gathering a lot of followers; So my question is- What do you think of the natural hair movement? Or better still, Why do you think a woman would cut off or grow out her relaxer to wear her hair in its natural state?
Maybe its because they are tired of all the negative stereotypes they hear, and want to stand against it..(Wow, I hope I'm not contradicting myself..)



That's great thank you very much for your opinion and honesty. Its been an interesting interview; Just before I let you go let me ask one last question.
What can we do to eliminate or reduce this stereotype? 
More women should feel confident and wear they hair in the natural state..


......So that's all for now folks. Hope y'all enjoyed it. Stay tuned for some more interviews and leave any comments if you wish.

XOXO
Miss Jay



No comments:

Post a Comment