Thursday, April 19, 2012

Revised hair care regimen



So I read an article on curly nikki yesterday which inspired me to make some adjustments to my current regimen.

As I mentioned I DC'd yesterday after a long while and given the hiatus, I promised myself that I'd be disciplined and stick to doing it every week.


In the past, I almost always DC'd on dry hair as I felt it saved me getting into the shower twice but having read this article, I gather that it's important to shampoo before DCing because 'old product residue blocks the deep conditioner, as such more of the product (the protein and the conditioning ingredients) will end up going down the drain if you don't shampoo first'.  

Look at it this way-  shampoos help to lift the hair cuticles to help remove product buildup from the hair. In doing this, they also enable the keratin/proteins in the DC bind to your hair's keratin strand.


One other thing I  learnt was that even though 'it's super common to DC for an hour to overnight, there is usually no benefit in leaving the product on longer than it says on the bottle. The maximum time recommended will get you the maximum possible results'.

As a result I've tweaked my regimen a bit to include the following:
1. Pre-poo the night before with coconut or other oil or do a hot oil treatment on the morning of wash day (which will now probably be on the weekend, as I can't afford to be late during the week).
2. Shampoo once a week
3. Follow with a DC
4. Moisturize and seal after wash and whenever hair feels dry.

+/- co-wash mid week if hair utterly dry or in need of style change.

My staple products are as before, however, I did add a new product for my edges T444Z, which I got from a hair show.



That's all for now folks.


xoxo,
Miss Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment